Pour la version française téléchargeable en PDF de notre politique de confidentialité, veuillez cliquer ici.Opens in a new tab. Ouverture dans un nouvel onglet
GWL Realty Advisors Residential
GWL Realty Advisors Residential Inc. (“GWLRA Residential”) manages properties on behalf of landlords or building owners. GWLRA is committed to protecting your personal information and respecting your privacy.
In order to provide you with services and products, we may collect, use and disclose your personal information. We know you are trusting us to keep your personal information secure and we take this responsibility very seriously.
Our Online Privacy Statement, Privacy Guidelines, Social Media Guideline, and Protecting your privacy outside Canada Statement describe our commitment to privacy and protecting your personal information.
- Online Privacy Statement
The Online Privacy Statement covers the use of personal information collected by GWLRA Residential during your visits to GWLRA Residential websites and other online and digital services that link to or otherwise incorporate by reference this Online Privacy Statement.
- Privacy Guidelines
The Privacy Guidelines describe our commitment to privacy and what guides us in protecting the privacy and confidentiality of personal information. It also explains how we collect, use and disclose personal information, and how you can contact us with questions or to exercise any of your rights to access or correct your personal information.
- Social Media Guidelines
The Social Media Guidelines describe how we may interact with you and treat your personal information on our social media channels.
- Protecting your privacy outside Canada
The Protecting your privacy outside Canada Statement describes why your personal information may leave Canada.
Online Privacy Statement
We are committed to respecting your privacy. This Online Privacy Statement applies to GWL Realty Advisors Residential Inc. (“GWLRA Residential”) websites, mobile applications and other digital offerings (such as tenant portals and in-suite digital offerings) that link to or otherwise incorporate by reference this Online Privacy Statement (the “Online Services”) and explains how we collect, use and disclose your personal information when you use the Online Services.
GWLRA Residential is committed to respecting the privacy and confidentiality of information it receives in accordance with GWLRA Residential’s Online Privacy Statement, and applicable law.
Personal Information is information about an identifiable individual.
By using Online Services, you acknowledge that you have read and understand this Online Privacy Statement and consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information as described herein. By allowing your child or ward who is under 14 years of age to use our Online Services you consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your child or ward’s personal information as described in this Statement. This Statement may be changed without notice to you, so we recommend you review it regularly.
The statement supplements our Social Media Guideline, Privacy Guidelines and any other terms or agreements that may apply to your relationship with us.
Privacy and Confidentiality
We have safeguards in place to protect the security and confidentiality of your personal information. However, the Internet is not a secure place where privacy and confidentiality can be guaranteed. Your confidential use of the Online Services can’t be guaranteed, and you acknowledge that your use of the Online Services may be subject to access or manipulation by, or disclosure to, third parties. GWLRA Residential is not responsible or liable for any damages that you or any other person may suffer in connection with any such violation of privacy, confidentiality or security.
Personal Information Collected
Certain Online Services may require you to provide, or may otherwise involve the collection of, personal information to access or provide the service. Such personal information includes your name, signature, residential address, telephone numbers, e-mail address, date of birth, driver’s license, vehicle information, place of employment, financial information, annual income, banking information, credit card information, credit history, emergency contact information, medical information, photograph, video footage and audio recording from security surveillance cameras, access card information, Online Services log-in credentials, information about your use of the Online Services (such as the features you use and your settings and preferences) resume, personal references, and is used to help provide you with a secure, private and convenient experience.
For Online Services requiring you to register, your personal information will be used to provide the Online Services and may also be used for:
- Identity verification: This information is used to confirm your identity when registering for access to certain Online Services. The information may be matched against our existing records to allow you to register.
- Communication with GWLRA Residential: If you send GWLRA Residential an email through our “Contact Us” feature, we’ll use the email address you provide at registration to contact you with our reply.
- Forgotten User Name or Password: If you forget either your user name or password, you may be able to recover them by going through the Forgotten User Name or Password feature, where available. To confirm your identity, we may match what you enter against the information collected during your registration.
- Marketing: With your consent, we may use your personal information to send you information about GWLRA Residential and its affiliates, including information about products, services, offers and events
The security of e-mail communication cannot be guaranteed. Do not send private or confidential information to GWLRA Residential via e-mail (e.g., your Social Insurance Number, birthday, financial information, banking information). Any person wishing to communicate or send information of a private or confidential nature to GWLRA Residential or a third party is encouraged to do so by other means.
“Cookies” are small items of data that websites store in your browser. These data files contain information the website can use to track and organize the pages you have visited, and to gather information. Some of our web-based applications use “cookie” technology to measure website activity and tailor information to fit your personal interests. GWLRA Residential uses both “session” and “persistent” cookies, both of which help us deliver a superior website experience that is designed to be fast, secure and personalized. You can accept or decline cookies through our cookie consent tool or through your browser settings or other tools as described below, but if you decline all cookies, this may lead to reduced website functionality.
The type of data being collected
We also offer location-enabled services within some of our mobile applications, such as Google Maps. If you use mobile applications, they may receive information about your actual location or information that can be used to approximate your location. You are always notified by the Geolocation Service, which you have the option to refuse.
With whom the data is shared
We use third party web analytics tools on our website and mobile applications (Google Analytics and Adobe Analytics). We also use third party advertising tools provided by advertising partners like Google, Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter. Advertising pixel tags on our website are deployed through Adobe Tag Manager.
The information collected by these online tracking tools may be combined with your personal information if you have entered your access ID and password or provided it to us through your persistent cookie.
You can use our cookie consent tool to choose whether to allow cookies and similar tools to collect your information. You can also turn off personalized ads in the settings of Facebook, LinkedIn, or Twitter, turn off cookies through your browser settings (see How to Block Cookies below), or opt out of targeted advertising through industry tools such as the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada Opt-out tool.
How to Block Cookies
You can change your browser settings to block cookies from being stored on your computer or mobile device. The ‘help’ menu of your browser should provide information on how to manage your cookie settings.
To block cookies when using the browsers on your mobile device, refer to the procedure for turning cookies on or off in the Chrome and Safari apps. Please be aware, however, that blocking cookies may prevent some pages on our website or some parts of our application from displaying correctly, and some features may not be available.
Links to other Websites or services
Some of our Online Services contain links to other websites, or allow you to interact with other websites, mobile applications or digital platforms or services, that are not maintained or controlled in any way by GWLRA Residential. We don’t control and are not responsible for any of these services or their content, and as a result such links or features are not to be viewed as an endorsement by GWLRA Residential or any other party of the products, services, advice or opinions or any other content of such services. These features and links to services that aren’t maintained or controlled by GWLRA Residential are provided for convenience only.
GWL Realty Advisors Residential Inc. and its affiliates, GWL Realty Advisors Inc. and The Canada Life Assurance Company (“GWLRA Residential”) follow the key privacy principles below when collecting, using, or disclosing your personal information.
At GWLRA Residential, we are responsible for all personal information under our control. This includes any personal information that is disclosed to a service provider performing services for, or on behalf of GWLRA Residential.
GWLRA Residential, its directors, officers, employees, licensed representatives, and other persons and organizations who act for, or on behalf of, GWLRA Residential are responsible for the protection of your personal information.
Personal information is maintained on our servers or those of our service providers and is accessible by authorized employees, representatives and agents who require access for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement. Access to personal information is restricted to directors, officers, employees, licensed representatives, and other persons or organizations acting for, or on behalf of, GWLRA Residential, and employees of the landlords of the properties that GWLRA Residential manages who need the information in order to provide services to the prospective residents and tenants, residents and tenants, or GWLRA Residential.
The Privacy Officer, GWLRA Residential, monitors compliance with these Privacy Guidelines.
We require our service providers to protect your personal information appropriately in a way that is consistent with our Privacy Guidelines and in accordance with applicable laws.
We require our service providers to only collect, use or disclose your personal information in accordance with the authorized purpose.
Personal information may be subject to disclosure to law enforcement officials and other authorities where required by law, both inside and outside of Canada.
We identify the purposes for collecting personal information before, or at the time the information is collected.
Personal information that we collect may be used to:
- Provide you with GWLRA Residential services and products
- Process your application for tenancy, your lease, other tenancy interactions
- Process your payment, i.e. deposit, rental payment
- Decide your eligibility for tenancy with GWLRA Residential for which you apply
- Make reference calls or request verification of your employment history with prior landlords
- Respond to your questions, comments, inquiries or request for information regarding GWLRA Residential services
- Send you communications which you have opted-in to receive
- Administer your tenancy
- Accommodate special needs, e.g. during emergency evacuation
- Enforce rental agreement, parking agreement, lease and any other types of client agreements as applicable
- Create, maintain or administer your Applicant/Resident log-in account
- Tailor your experience on the Online Services
- Help diagnose technical problems with the Online Services
- Administer the Online Services
- Perform internal data management and analytics by GWLRA Residential
- Meet legal or regulatory requirements
- Video surveillance, access cards and other information for general security purposes including prevention of potentially prohibited or illegal activities
- Emergency or incident reporting including video, other surveillance for investigation, insurance and other risk management
- Employment purposes, including using resumes, and personal references provided in applications of employment and employment forms
- To optimize and improve customer service and for statistical analysis
- Communicate with you and administer your participation in surveys, events, programs, and promotions
- To protect our interests in a civil proceeding or a proceeding involving criminal activity, fraud, or misrepresentation.
We may collect your Social Insurance Number (SIN) where required by law for tax-reporting purposes.
In addition, where you provide consent, we may also use your SIN for identification and record-keeping, such as keeping your information separate from other customers and people with similar names. Where you have consented to use of SIN for identification and record-keeping purposes, you can withdraw this consent at any time.
We collect, use and disclose your personal information with your consent, or as permitted or required by law.
We may collect your consent in different ways. It may be expressed in writing or be implied, provided to us verbally, electronically, or through an authorized representative. For example, a parent or guardian must provide consent on behalf of their child or ward who is under the age of 14.
Subject to legal or contractual restrictions, your consent can be withdrawn at anytime; however, withdrawing your consent may impact our ability to continue to provide you with the services you requested.
Where previously provided, you may withdraw your consent to use your SIN for identification and record keeping purposes.
We only collect personal information that is necessary for the purposes identified.
Personal information we collect about you may include:
- Identification information, such as name, residential address, telephone numbers, e-mail address, date of birth, driver’s license, vehicle information, or other identifying information;
- Financial information, such as place of employment, annual income, banking information; credit card information, credit history;
- Emergency contact information, such as name, address, telephone number;
- Health or lifestyle information, such as job, travel history or plans, driving record, or criminal record;
- Medical information, such as mobility requirements, medical history; or
- Information that we collect through security systems or other building systems such as video surveillance tools, access cards, tenant portals, mobile applications, in-suite digital offerings and similar systems and tools.
The personal information we collect is obtained from applications and other forms collected directly from you or through your authorized representative, or indirectly through our systems and tools. We may also collect your personal information from credit agencies, employers or personal references, or other third parties who represent that they have the right to disclose the information. In addition, when you visit our Online Services, we may obtain certain information by automated means. We gather data when you interact with our websites, apps and other Online Services as indicated in our Online Privacy Statement.
Use, Disclosure and Retention
We will keep personal information only as long as necessary to fulfill the identified purpose and in accordance with our policies and applicable laws.
We may share your personal information with other companies or individuals to assess applications and service your tenancy but only for the purposes disclosed at the time of collection or for a use consistent with that purpose. We may share your information, including personal information with:
- Credit reporting agencies for the purposes of assessing your application for tenancy;
- Financial institutions for the purposes of processing your deposit or rental payment;
- Law enforcement agencies or governmental agencies as required or permitted by law;
- Our subsidiaries and affiliates to fulfill their roles as service providers and/or property owners;
- Owner of a GWLRA Residential managed property and/or Landlord for the purposes of managing your tenancy, and providing statistical analysis and reporting;
- Vendors or suppliers of utility, cable, satellite, parking and other services and products to provide their services or sell their products to residents and tenants of our buildings with your consent;
- Prospective lenders, purchasers and their agents, provided that purchasers have entered into a confidentiality agreement;
- Other third parties with your consent;
- Our service providers which may be located outside of Canada, or outside your province of residence. In those cases, your personal information will be subject to the laws that apply in those countries, including public authorities access laws.
We may disclose your personal information in order to protect our interests in a civil proceeding or a proceeding involving criminal activity, fraud, or misrepresentation.
We may also disclose your information, including personal information, in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including corporate reorganization, merger or amalgamation with another entity, dissolution or liquidation). Your personal information may also be transferred to a successor property manager designated by the landlord or owner of your building.
We may also disclose your personal information for additional purposes that may be identified at or before the time that the information is collected or disclosed or for new purposes to which you have consented.
GWLRA Residential uses video surveillance to deter crime and protect the safety and security of our residents and employees. Security cameras are placed exclusively in common areas of the property. When a crime has occurred, we use and share the video with police to assist police in the ensuing investigation. In some buildings, occupants may be able to access certain security cameras through in-suite devices or mobile applications. For example, some buildings allow occupants temporary access to lobby cameras to identify a visitor. In some cases, the in-suite device may have functionality to take and store photos taken through these cameras. These photos are stored locally on the device. In some buildings, video surveillance is also used to manage entry to parking. GWLRA Residential employees and service providers may be able to access certain cameras through mobile applications or other digital tools
Any questions regarding video surveillance should be directed to the Privacy Officer, GWLRA Residential whose contact information is listed below:
GWL Realty Advisors Residential Inc.
33 Yonge Street, Suite 1000,
Toronto, ON, M5E 1G4
We recognize the importance of ensuring that your personal information is accurate and up to date. We rely on you to provide us accurate information and to contact us about any changes to your personal information. You have the right to ask us to change or correct information we have collected about you. Where your personal information is inaccurate or incomplete, we will make any necessary changes.
We take the protection of your personal information seriously. We use appropriate physical, technical and organizational safeguards to protect your personal information against loss and unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. All of our employees receive annual information security, privacy, and Code of Conduct training.
We have security standards to protect our systems against unauthorized access and use. Our service providers are required to protect their systems against unauthorized access and apply security standards that are, at a minimum, equivalent to ours. Our service providers are also contractually required to protect and only use your personal information for the purposes authorized by GWLRA Residential.
This Privacy Guideline, as well as other policies and procedures, are always available to you. Please contact us if you are unable to access our website or require documents in another format.
Upon written request, we will respond to inquiries about our practices relating to the management of personal information. You can contact the Privacy Officer, GWLRA Residential with any inquiries or complaints.
Upon written request, we will provide you with details regarding your personal information including what information we have about you, and how it has been used and disclosed, subject to certain exceptions permitted by law. You may also request that we correct your personal information. Where we find that the personal information is indeed incorrect, we will update it.
To protect your personal information, all requests for access must be made to us in writing.
Any concern, inquiry or request related to privacy, should be made by emailing or writing to our Privacy Officer , GWLRA Residential using the below contact information:
GWL Realty Advisors Residential Inc.
33 Yonge Street, Suite 1000,
Toronto, ON, M5E 1G4
Social Media Guidelines
GWL Realty Advisors Residential Inc. (“GWLRA Residential”) are active online with social media and invite you to share your comments and thoughts through our platforms.
At GWLRA Residential, we are committed to respecting your privacy. The providers of social media platforms used by GWLRA Residential are not affiliated with our organization. As such, we recommend that you use care when sharing personal information on these platforms. Personal information you share with us in private messages over our social media platforms may be shared with our employees, representatives and third party service providers. These third party service providers may be responsible for handling our social media accounts, including responding to any of the questions or issues you raised. As these individuals and service providers may in some cases be located outside of Canada or outside your province of residence, the personal information you share could be subject to access under the laws of such jurisdictions.
Content that you post on our public social media platforms is not private and may be seen by anyone who visits our platform. When you share information in public comments or posts, you acknowledge and agree that it is not confidential.
No personal information should be posted on our social media platforms. GWLRA Residential also discourages sending personal information through private messages to our social media.
GWLRA Residential reserves the right to remove or cause to be removed posts or comments that constitute or include:
- Sensitive personal information about you or someone else
- Personal attacks, or defamatory, abusive, or hateful comments
- Links to any content containing a virus
- Spam, advertising, soliciting or links to external sites not previously approved by GWLRA Residential
- Content that, to our knowledge, violates the intellectual property rights of another language or topics that may offend other members of the community including content (including photos) that is discriminatory, offensive, crude, harassing, abusive, defamatory or threatening, or that contains profanity (even in short or abbreviated form) or discussion of illegal activities
- GWLRA Residential reserves the right to add to, remove, or change any of the terms of this Social Media Guideline at any time.
Confidentiality and privacy are important. If you are a GWLRA Residential client, or a resident, tenant or visitor in our buildings, and have specific questions about your account, lease, tenancy, or about the services we provide, to protect your privacy, we cannot answer them on social media. We’ll ask that you send your information to us by email or another means so we can direct your question to the appropriate GWLRA Residential representative so they can communicate with you directly.
If you are a GWLRA Residential employee, or contracted by or associated with GWLRA Residential, when participating on social media, please be open about your employment or association with GWLRA Residential and be clear that you’re expressing your own views and not the views of GWLRA Residential.
We do not endorse, nor are we responsible for the accuracy of the information, opinions, claims or advice shared by other social media users. Please use your own careful judgment when relying on the information or advice contained in these postings.
If you have questions or concerns about GWLRA Residential services or products, you can find our contact information on our website https://www.gwlraresidential.com/contactus
For more information about GWLRA Residential’s Privacy Practices, please visit our Privacy Guidelines and Online Privacy Statement or write to us using the below contact information:
GWL Realty Advisors Residential Inc.
33 Yonge Street, Suite 1000,
Toronto, ON, M5E 1G4
Protecting your privacy outside Canada
Service providers inside and outside of Canada
GWLRA Residential is a Canadian company and as such, most of our business activities take place within Canada. However, in order to give a high level of cost-effective service to our customers, we may ask service providers to assist us. We take great care in the selection of service providers because of our commitment to a consistent high level of service and quality.
Our service providers may be based inside or outside of Canada, or use systems, data support or employees located inside or outside of Canada including in any Canadian province, the United States, the United Kingdom, the European Union or India.
Service providers that we may use include:
- Smart building technology service providers
- Call centre providers
- Property technology service providers
- Mobile application and website developers and providers
- Property and asset management software providers
- Tenant and resident services providers
- Property operations services providers
- Financial operations services providers
In day-to-day business, personal information about you may be collected from outside of Canada or outside your province of residence, or communicated outside of Canada or your province of residence, so that we or our authorized service providers can:
- Administer your application or tenancy
- Provide you with various services related to your tenancy with us (e.g. enhanced customer experience, building operations)
- Provide Online Services
- Communicate with you regarding your questions or inquiries about our services
The protection of personal information by service providers
We require that our service providers protect your personal information properly in a manner consistent with our Privacy Guidelines and in accordance with law in their jurisdiction.
We require that service providers collect, use or share your personal information only for purposes that we have authorized.
Personal information may always be shared with law enforcement and other authorities where permitted or required by law, both inside and outside of Canada.
Any concern, question or request related to the collection and communication of personal information outside of Canada should be made by emailing or writing our Privacy Officer, GWLRA Residential, using the below contact information:
GWL Realty Advisors Residential Inc.
33 Yonge Street, Suite 1000,
Toronto, ON, M5E 1G4
Revised September 2023